Effective and efficient. These are two adjectives that describe a well run legal marketing campaign. But these aren’t always attainable when you’re facing a massive pile of tasks on a daily basis. If you’re feeling continually overwhelmed, you should definitely consider batching legal marketing tasks. Doing so can help you accomplish more in less time, while minimizing your frustration.
What is Batching?
Michael Hyatt provides a nice definition. “Batching is simply a form of time management that allows a person to maximize concentration and decrease distraction. Batch processing is the grouping of similar tasks that require similar resources in order to streamline their completion.”
Rather than juggling a large volume of tasks and moving from one to the next, you focus exclusively on one key area at a time. This enables you execute each task with a higher level of efficiency and effectiveness. Batching is a practice that’s especially useful for legal marketing.
The Myth of Multitasking
The concept of multitasking seems appealing. It’s nice to think that we can shift our attention from one task to another and knock down a plethora of tasks in a systematic fashion. But research indicates that multitasking is actually a myth.
According to Psychology Today, “Much recent neuroscience research tells us that the brain doesn’t really do tasks simultaneously, as we thought (hoped) it might. In fact, we just switch tasks quickly. That start/stop/start process is rough on us: rather than saving time, it costs time (even very small micro seconds), it’s less efficient, we make more mistakes, and over time it can be energy sapping.”
Batching is the opposite of multitasking and revolves around focusing on one task at time and doing it on a larger scale. This way you are able to attain a laser like focus, which tends to result in higher quality output at a faster rate.
Examples of Batching
There are a myriad of ways you can incorporate batching, but here are some practical examples.
- Schedule posts across multiple social media accounts in one sitting – Rather than spending smaller increments of time updating your accounts and engaging with followers, you can take care of everything in one sitting per week. Tools like Buffer are perfect for this.
- Write your weekly blog posts in one sitting – Instead of writing a single blog post multiple times per week, you can write 2 – 3 at once. You can then schedule your posts so that your blog is updated automatically.
- Create email blasts for an entire month in one sitting – Most brands send out 2 – 4 emails to subscribers each month. You can condense this process into one session so that you always have emails on standby any time you need them.
- Perform keyword research – Keyword research is important for optimizing blog titles, meta descriptions, H1 tags and so on. You can save a lot of time by taking care of keyword research in periodic bursts and recording phrases you would like to target rather than doing it manually every time you’re writing a new blog post.
As you can see there are a lot of ways you can go about batching legal marketing tasks. The end result is streamlined legal marketing without any “cognitive overload.” If you’ve never experimented with batching, go ahead and give it a shot. You should like the results.
Latest posts by Nick Mann (see all)
- Infographic SEO 101 - July 19, 2017
- Use This Simple Keyword Hack to Expedite Your Research - July 17, 2017
- Include Targeted Keywords in these Places for Each Blog Post - July 12, 2017